Wednesday, June 6, 2012

In Progress, and Lookin' Good

A lot of people say they want to like tofu, and they can't pull it off.  I get it.  I'm the same way about sushi (it's the seaweed).  And the ways some super-enthusiasts think they can disguise soft tofu (in cheesecake?  Seriously???) can be jaw-dropping.

So for extra-firm tofu lovers, here you go.  Eating Well's Soy-Lime Roasted Tofu, with brown rice, toasted unsalted peanuts, and veggies (broccoli, red pepper, sauteed mushrooms) is my lunch this week and I'm quite enjoying it.

That said, I'd enjoy it much more with some kind of sauce.  I'm absolutely open to suggestions.  I'm.   trying to limit processed foods, so I don't want to buy one.

Soy-Lime Roasted Tofu
Eating Well, March/April 2009

1 14-ounce package extra-firm, water-packed tofu, drained
1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or tamari, if you need gluten-free)
1/3 cup lime juice
3 TBSP toasted sesame oil (you don't toast it, you buy it pre-toasted)

1.  Pat tofu dry and cut ito 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes.  [Note:  I placed a double-thickness of paper towels under and above the tofu, and weighed it down with the Pyrex casserole dish I used for the marinade.  This extracted more water and gave it a better texture.]

2.  Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, and oil in a medium shallow dish or large sealable plastic bag.  Add the tofu; GENTLY toss to combine.  Better yet, just spoon the marinade over.

Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 4 hours, gently stirring once or twice.

3.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

4.  Remove the tofu from the marinade with a slotted spoon, and discard the marinade.  Spread out on a large baking sheet, making sure the pieces are not touching.  Roast, gently turning halfway through, until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

No comments: