Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Name Is Stephanie, And I Shamelessly Eat Carbs

And peanut butter. Such a rebel!

Seriously, all I've had today is carbs. Cereal (with milk & blueberries) for breakfast, and a nibble of pasta around lunchtime (never got to eat my lunch today). And since I needed comfort food earlier in the week, I had some Butternut Squash Souffle in the fridge that I just heated up for a dinner of sorts - carby, but it's a vegetable. I'll shortly break the trend by meeting a friend out for caffeine and/or alcohol. Maybe a salad if I'm feeling virtuous, who knows?

I'm loving this stuff. It's not the lightest dish in the world, but it's both sweet and savory, and soft on my sore throat. Really, I'm trying to increase my vegetable repertoire over the next few months and will share the successes with y'all. I suppose I could share the failures, but that never made sense to me - "this sucks, and here's how you can make it in your own home." ???

From Southern Living:

Butternut Squash Souffle
1 large butternut squash (about 2 lb.)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage* (I used dried)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Remove stem from squash. Cut squash lengthwise into 4 pieces; remove and discard seeds. Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well; let cool for 25 minutes or until completely cool. Remove and discard peel. It was much easier to spoon out the flesh than to use a knife.

2. Process squash and eggs in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. [Note: I don't have a food processor - my hand mixer worked fine] Add sour cream and remaining ingredients; process 20 to 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.

3. Bake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes or until set.

*1 tsp. ground sage may be substituted.

No comments: